Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Am I Missing Something?

I just read this story from the Fox News website and was dumbfounded. It's the news item about a missing California priest along with the WOMAN he was vacationing with! Nowhere does it mention the oddity of why would a supposedly celibate Catholic priest be vacationing with a woman, alone. I tried to ascertain whether perhaps he is an Anglican priest? Maybe? Was he vacationing with a group?

I hope they are found but it is also sad that a priest has taken to the ways of today's culture. What happened to the notion of not even giving the appearance of scandal or causing others to get the wrong impression. On the other hand, there are many holy priests still around. I see them and see the dedication with which they serve. I see their striving to be holy priests. Let's pray often for our priests.


PRAYER FOR PRIESTS
(By Cardinal Cushing)
0 Almighty, Eternal God,
look upon the face of Thy Son, and for love of Him Who is the Eternal
High-priest, have pity on Thy priests. Remember, 0 most compassionate God, that
they are but weak and frail human beings. Stir up in them the grace of their
vocation which is in them by the imposition of the Bishop's hands. Keep them
close to Thee, lest the enemy prevail against them so that they may never do
anything in the slightest degree unworthy of their sublime vocation.
0 Jesus,
I pray Thee for Thy faithful and fervent priests; for Thy unfaithful and tepid
priests; for Thy priests laboring at home or abroad in distant mission fields;
for Thy tempted priests; for Thy lonely and desolate priests; for Thy young
priests; for Thy dying priests; for the souls of Thy priests in
Purgatory.
But above all, I commend to Thee the priests dearest to me; the
priest who baptized me; the priests who absolved me from my sins; the priests at
whose Masses I assisted and who gave me Thy Body and Blood in Holy Communion;
the priests who taught and instructed me or helped and encouraged me; all the
priests to whom I am indebted in any other way. 0 Jesus, keep them all, close to
Thy heart, and bless them abundantly in time and in eternity. Amen

No comments: