Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Wonderful Discovery

Due to logistics of time, I went to a different church for Mass last Sunday. I've been wanting to visit this church as I've been thinking of sending my children to this parish's school. I was so happy when I heard the cantor singing songs in Latin. Even though I grew up in the 70's & 80's, I'm more of a conservative, more Orthodox Catholic. I'd like to see the Mass celebrated in a more reverent way. I even would like to see some Communion rails spring up. As it was Respect Life Sunday, the priest gave a pull no punches homily about abortion and how we as a society have lost all respect for life, preborn, born, and the elderly. It is very rare that I will hear a priest speak about anything controversial. I was pleased to hear this as I think that most priests try not to upset anyone during their homily. I wish more priests would incorporate more Church teaching in the homilies rather than blandly talking about "touchy, feely" things.
I think I'll visit this church more often. Maybe it wasn't an aberration.

I think I'm coming down with a cold. I've been lucky so far since it's been making the rounds here since December. Hopefully my Zycam can nip it in the bud.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lisa, it is not only priest but many prostestant pastors use the touchy feely sermons to. One doesn't go away convicted asking God for forgiveness and thanking Him for the grace to change. The word sin has been changed to mistake. I too like a fire and brimstone message too. If one is not going to heaven, hell is the only other option. Of coarse when giving a hell and brimstone message it must be given with the message of hope in Christ, his mercy and love for sinner to come to to Him. Again, that AMAZING GRACE.