Saturday, January 23, 2010

Saturday

We have seen rain, rain, and more rain this past week. Finally, I think we are coming out of it. The kids were even home for two days because their school got flooded. But, thank God, we all survived. Here in Southern California we are just not used to that much rain! LOL! At least our cars were washed without much effort and we got our money's worth for our umbrellas!

Today for lunch I plan on cooking Southwestern Bean Soup. It's a new recipe I've been waiting to try. Perfect for a chilly day. I also need to pick up some things at the grocery store and Target. I've been postponing many errands due to the rain.

This morning, I saw this article about Grant Desme, a major league prospect for the Oakland A's baseball team. He's leaving baseball and entering the seminary at St. Michael's Abbey here in Orange County. I think it's wonderful that he chose that seminary. The priests from my kid's school belong to this order and they are dedicated, prayerful, and faithful to the teachings of the Church. I'm sure he will get solid formation.

An excerpt:

"I'm doing well in baseball," he said. "But I had to get down to the bottom of things, to what was good in my life, what I wanted to do with my life. Baseball is a good thing, but that felt selfish of me when I felt that God was calling me more. It took awhile to trust that and open up to it and aim full steam toward him.

"I love the game, but I'm going to aspire to higher things."


Asked about the possibility of continuing to play minor-league baseball while also attending the seminary, which has been done in the past, Desme said, "No. I want to give my life completely to God out of love because of everything he's done for me."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.